The two buildings form part of the Leonardo campus of the Politecnico di Milano university’s faculty of architecture. Designed in 1953 by Gio Ponti, Piero Portaluppi and Giordano Forti, the campus is an extension of the historic piazza Leonardo site. The designers intended the complex to completely surround a courtyard, but only two wings were built and the plan was not completed until the Seventies, when Vittoriano Viganò designed the via Ampère structure, built around the large central patio. However, another two buildings, known as Nave and Trifoglio, were erected on via Bonardi in the Sixties.
Built by Ponti in 1971, Palazzo Montedoria is in two asymmetrical parts and is clad with green tiles in 6×19 cm size, with a smooth bevelled surface. Installed at random, they generate extraordinary effects with reflected light, intensified by the flush glazing in the facade, which reflects the sky.
Via Plinio in Milan was constructed in a more or less uniform style during the early decades of the Twentieth Century. The district which grew up along its final section contains buildings embodying the spirit of urban design that evolved from the mid Fifties. It is known as the Amedeo d’Aosta District.
The Marriott Bonvoy group owns a large number of brands, including Residence Inn, a worldwide luxury hotel chain. Residence Inns offer many amenities as well as elegant, roomy suites which provide their fortunate guests with a sense of space, freedom and calm.
The use of ceramics on an architectural scale always requires optimal synergy between an artisan approach and strict production standards. We drew on our special know-how to produce the special metallic finish of the hexagonal tiles of the facade cladding of the John Lewis department store in Leeds, a building designed by ACME. In tribute to the local decorative tradition, the architects opted for a terracotta cladding.